08 March 2006

*Center Stage & Spot Lights*

When you get the world's attention, are you a camera whore? When you get the public's attention, are you an attention-seeker? When you get one's attention, are you desperate?
How far would it take for you to be famous?


It got me thinking.

You're loud, you're spunky, you're fun, you're talkative and you're lovable. You fit the bill as a superstar. But one thing you missed out. Are you talented?

The world out there is so challenging, everybody wants to be somebody. For one reason, Money. Pardon me if I'm wrong, but that's just the only way to get rich quick. But, for certain people, superstardom is unpredictable. If you got it, you got it. If you ain't got it, then you ain't gettin' it. If you love what you're doing, just one word- Passion. If you love what you gaining, just one word- Attention!

It is easy to differentiate a true talent and a true attention-seeker. It is from the way they produce work. One similarity- Attention. A true talent finds it hard to grab the attention but eventually gain stardom. A true attention-seeker finds it easy to grab attention but eventually becomes over-rated. Too commercialized the world has become. I believe. (Do I sound a la Yoda?)

Recalling how fortunate some of my friends are, to be able to perform & get special appearances for their unique talents, I feel that the world has just become somewhat challenging. I believe it is just about the survival of the fittest. Especially here in Singapore, when talents in Media is really about the brains & the brawn. The most outstanding able to outshine the rest. How different are you? How unique are you? Singapore's Entertainment industry is really hard to please. Why? Ask yourself. Look around.

It got me thinking. Again.

They got their first big break to perform in front of a huge crowd in the most prestige place. Given the opportunity to showcase their talent is already a lifetime opportunity. It could bring them far. Who are they? Look around you. They are everywhere. The youths, it could be your age, it could be my age. They fulfilled something you dreamt of. They did something they wished they wanted. They finally get to accomplish something. But, where are you now? How useful are you? Ask yourself. Think again.

Somehow, somewhere. I was really thinking and finding the answer. I love acting, but I got more downsides than my sunshines. I'm always getting the bad reviews, not the encouragement. But, does that suppose to mean giving up? Believe in yourself, now is just not your sunny day but someday, it could be yours. At least, you did something to make yourself happy. So, smile.

Sharing the limelight is just something we don't want to share.

These days had got me thinking: Why do I wanna be a star? Why do I wanna be an actress? Will I make it someday? Who am I really? What do I want to accomplish by 5 years' time? Will I ever be happy with my new identity? Wait... Will I be able to achieve something in 5 years' time? Will it change the fact that I'm growing up?

Apparently, I am still young & naive. They always say, "start from scratch"... "begin from the bottom, rise to the top"...

Ain't that just easy to say? Believe me, if you wanna taste that spotlight on your face, skin, lips & all over your body, taste the burden first. Do not judge other people's luck on your own life. Your accomplishments, your luck. Do whatever you like (let it be computing, engineering, designing...) do it with passion & dedication. They are people who will block your way, balance yourself... In your talent world (singing, acting...) and your real world (family, friends...) and God Willing, you'll know where your Centre Stage is...


`peace + luck